IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Remove Windows Desktop Search (resolved), How to remove Windows Desktop Search from the deksktop tool bar
Gorilla no baka
post Mar 28 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Artiste GORILLA - The Last of The Insomniac Tweakers

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2396
OS: Linux PUPPY 215CE ,Slimmed down Win XP Pro (131 MB) Mac OS X 10.5.2 on my PC Laptop
Processor: Intel Celeron M 1200 MHz
Video Card: GORILLA - ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP
RAM: ONLY 223 :)

Right

It's been a while since i did not post in here been busy working in some remote s.#$#t holes.(You can count on them hadgis to kee you busy)
Anyway , after i got back home on leave i decided to give my GF's Windows home xp ol clunky a bit of TLC.
Not that it really neaded it because was rock stable (only 4 services runing ).

I reset all her laptop to it's original factory settings and started from the scratch going to the MS Automatic Updates ..New clean slate and all that..

So after doing the updates i have't done in 4 years (There were millions of them) and installing MS Office 2010 I've noticed the stupid [i]Windows
Search 4.0 in the taskbar.! I instantly disliked it because of it's intrusion in my taskbar taking up space and hoging all my RAM.

But since i am a curious guy i decided to let it there for a few days to see how it performs..!
Needles to say it soon has become the source of all my rantings and frustrations..

Question:
Is it me or is it like really slow and ineffcient? It would not index anything.. Taking bloody ages to do it..And when it will eventually stop indexing it will be as uselles as a one leg whore in a ass kicking contest...

Eventually i had to go in the registry and change the value of DisableBackOff from 0 to 1..

After 5 hours of indexing (and yes i selected manually ALL the files---So stupid not to have a "select all" menu) and i made sure the whole drive C: is selected and there are no exclusions..) it was still lacking any functionality as you can see...

I ran a search using wildcards for .exe .. it returned only 404 results..

Attached File  search.jpg ( 283.7K ) Number of downloads: 4

Whereas running the search from Terminal it gets me a wooping, ........wait for it....
See the screen shot below [Do not get any ideas.. :) this is my GF's Laptop and the pink stuff is her choice ]
Attached File  count2.jpg ( 112.72K ) Number of downloads: 6

Funny enough the old windows xp search companion i had before when using wildcard will find them all without any problem..

Anyway since my GF said she could live with it i decided to let it be!

However what she could not live with was the bloody intrusion in the task bar..!
i told her she could tick it off in the menu and make it dissapear (i am a lazy bugger :) ) and she gave me that look! She said she wants it OUT OF THE DESKTOP TOOL BAR NOT HIDDEN THERE..

Lady's wish is a command so i got back to the salt mines and as a proper geek i started reading Microsoft's Manual.. you know the spiel : "RTFM"..
Uselles...
Then i went to the Microsoft's site for help..

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en...8-d7b010be8d10/

And i started reading the posts from the 4 years ago..
none offered a pactical solution.. (She works with Office 2010 and she really needs all the features like instant search and stuff ..problem is before Instant Search can be enabled in Microsoft Outlook 2010, Windows Search 4.0 or later must be installed on your computer. If Windows Search 4.0 is not installed, you are forced to download and install the stupid the software when Outlook 2010 starts)

As it turned out in the end the solution was simple :
Go in the Programs Folder,
[/i] Windows Search 4 and cut (cut not delete..Also do not unregister the dll)

deskbar.dll and WindowsSearch.exe and put the on your desktop or whereever you want..

Restart and that's it all about..

I am still keeping the files for a while to see what's happening..

Her OS is Windows Home XP (Japanese Version) the
Windows Search 4 i have installed is was the english language (I dont do Japanese). All the services are up and running nothing tweaked WFP is still on.. Basicaly it's an untouched install

Have Fun Guys

IPB

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
jan
post Mar 29 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #2

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Processor: Dual 2.66G Intel
Video Card: 8800 GT
RAM: 3G DDR2

Very Kool, thanks for that gorilla. That has always razzled me a bit too. Bloody thing is just plain useless on top of taking forever to find anything.

Hug.gif

IPB

Repeal dont ask, dont drill ...

Gorilla no baka
post Mar 29 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Artiste GORILLA - The Last of The Insomniac Tweakers

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2396
OS: Linux PUPPY 215CE ,Slimmed down Win XP Pro (131 MB) Mac OS X 10.5.2 on my PC Laptop
Processor: Intel Celeron M 1200 MHz
Video Card: GORILLA - ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP
RAM: ONLY 223 :)

Just a quick update:

The Search does not seem to mind working without those 2files i took out..
As per today it has still not resurfaced on the desktop lower tool bar and everything is honky dory so far!

Windows File Protection is Still ON...

Keeping an Windows Home XP up to date it is a pain in the neck... (Actually with all the fixes updates and the aditionall patching i've done i doubt this is an Windows Home XP anymore..)

QUOTE(jan @ Mar 29 2012, 07:22 AM) *
Very Kool, thanks for that gorilla. That has always razzled me a bit too. Bloody thing is just plain useless on top of taking forever to find anything.

Hug.gif

IPB

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 04:14 PM